Lately I have started to enjoy the fun of pickling and making my own kimchi. Many Western restaurants are currently discovering this staple of the Korean diet (the average Korean eats about 40 pounds a year). But don’t write it off as yet another foodie fad! This spicy fermented cabbage seasoned with garlic, salt, vinegar and chili peppers is not only tasty, but it is a low-fat and high-fiber dish. Kimchi is an important source of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and other nutrients. As other fermented foods, it helps our body to absorb nutrients and keep the bacteria that live within us balanced. Here are the top five health and beauty benefits of kimchi:
1. The fermentation process produces lactic acid and probiotics that boost the immune system and aid in digestion.
2. Kimchi is rich in anti-oxidants which decrease the rate of aging of the skin and inhibits cell oxidation, helping you look young and radiant.
3. Kimchi is high in vitamins A, B and C and beta-carotene, which can improve your skin’s elasticity.
4. The garlic found in kimchi contains allicin and selenium – both of which help in decreasing the cholesterol amount in your blood.
5. Kimchi helps carbohydrate metabolism to aid in losing weight, while the capsaicin found in the chili peppers in this Korean dish boosts your metabolism and makes you use the excess energy in your body, thereby increasing weight loss.
PICKLING: HOW TO DO IT REALLY QUICKLY
ALL YOU NEED: Your favorite vegetables, vinegar, sugar, water, seasoning like salt, pepper peperoncini, ginger, etc.
1. Clean, peel and chop very finely your vegetables with a sharp knife
2. Place your vegetables in a jar and add the prepared liquid which consists of vinegar, sugar and water, season with your favorite spices, lemon, ginger and garlic and close the jar tightly.
3. Wait three weeks and enjoy your kimchi every day, with meat, fish, ham or just like that to balance your health.