Hair, just like your skin, is looking for a renewal these days, after a long winter. With temperatures from freezing cold to overheated rooms, our hair needs special care and new formulas to be rebalanced, nourished and just polished for the spring season. We had a chat with Munich-based hair dresser Thomas Kemper and followed his advice.
1. During the winter time, the scalp skin is lacking moisturizer and the hair structure is rough and fragile due to heated rooms and cold outdoor temperatures. Make an appointment with the hairdresser to have your hair analyzed so that he/she can find the perfect matching haircare for you hair structure and needs. Just like you would ask a dermatologist for the perfect skincare.
2. The key is to take extra care of your hair. Use special masks, hair tonics and hair oils to rebalance and nourish hair and scalp. In this case, the more the better. But make sure your hairdresser analyzes your hair carefully, otherwise you might get the contrary result and your hair gets matte and dull or overweight by the wrong treatments.
3. To get immediate and quick help, use a matching hair mask at least once a week after washing your hair with an extra mild shampoo. Pat the hair slightly dry before adding the mask and leave in 10–15 minutes for optimum results.
4. Use hair oil whenever you can. Before hair drying a few drops onto wet hair protects your hair structure from drying out and at night before going to bed and before brushing your hair, massage well onto your scalp and hair ends. Just use a few drops, otherwise the hair will weigh too heavy and will get too oily. Argan oil is a perfect oil base for any hair type.
5. Use an overnight optimum haircare product like for example Essence Absolue Nourishing Taming Overnight by Shu Uemura or visit a salon for the Kérastase Fusio-Dose ampoule treatment. In case you have no mask at hand, just use 1 tbs of virgin organic coconut oil, massage the scalp and hair ends and wrap a warm towel around your head. If possible, leave over night and wash your hair the next morning.